Monday, January 30, 2017

Jungle Love by Morris Day & The Time



The Time was put together by Prince, and included Minneapolis musicians Morris Day, Jesse Johnson, Jimmy "Jam" Harris and Terry Lewis. The group released two albums before Ice Cream Castle, and they broke up shortly after "Jungle Love" was released. It's unclear how much each group member contributed to this song and how much involvement Prince had in it, but Prince, Morris Day and Jesse Johnson are the credited writers, and Day is listed as a producer on the album.

Johnson claimed that Prince screwed him out of a production credit, telling NME in 1986: "Prince is such an a--hole. He's so scared of people rising to his level that he always tries to keep you down, don't never let you do nothing. He only let me write and produce on the last Time album 'cos he knew I was quitting, and when I quit anyway he took my production credit off. I wrote, played and produced stuff like 'Jungle Love', that's MY sound."